Sunday, May 25, 2008

Day 12 - "When it Dries (Inondazione pt. 1)"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day12.mp3

This one wins the award for most work yet. I spent a whole lot of time on this one, and while that alone doesn't make it the best yet, I think it's in the top few. The music itself isn't necessarily weird, but it does give off the impression that I just strung a few riffs together however I felt like it. That's about half true. I was also very pleased to learn that I can quite easily play sixteenth notes in 5/4 time at 220 bpm (if you really want to count it in quarter notes).

Probably the strangest thing about the whole project is how much better I'm getting at guitar because of it. I would also like to take this moment remind the guitar players out there that open C tuning is the way to go, always. It's been 4 years since I switched to it, and I do not plan on switching back for quite some time.

The vocal part in the middle of the song is actually a sort of reprise, going all the way back to Day 2! But this time, I nailed the harmonies a little better, and it sounds a whole lot more "right."

So this is the main character, sitting on the rooftop (of the water treatment plant, I guess), watching chaos ensue below him. I promised you some metal, so here it is.

Also I would like to remind the audience that I am not being paid for offering you all of this free, seemingly endless entertainment...instead, I work for comments. Anonymous comments are COOL, but leaving your name is WAY COOL. So if you want to be as cool as this, leave a comment, and don't be shy...tell me who you are!

(but I'd rather have anonymous than none at all...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is very dan waldkirch of you

Karen said...

Well, OK, fine. But I was trying not to scare people away.

I enjoyed that, and wish that more metal sounded like this.

Unfortunately, now I've lost the tune thanks to your ridiculous YouTube link. (And for a moment I thought I was going to be Rick-rolled!)

Good job!

Anonymous said...

smoking stuff man

have to say i'm a bit conflicted about the use of keyboards in a metal song...but, it is a musical...

on that note - have you checked out the new genghis tron? (not a musical...but some how the keyboards there seem to work too)

keep rockin' it!

-derek

(i didn't know about this...but it seems the idea of pasting diamond dave over the world's greatest bands is a rather universal urge...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DTxZs-pRZ_M

)

Dan W. said...

Keyboards + metal = a match made in heaven. The more keyboard tracks, the better...in all cases, as far as I'm concerned. And I don't just make metal, I make pop metal!

Dan W. said...

Also Derek, your song is way better than that Beatles one. Add the video and you've got a surefire internet sensation.