Thursday, May 29, 2008

Day 16 - "No Rhyme or Reason"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day16.mp3

Wow! I was REALLY surprised by how well this one turned out. I decided to make a techno song (Possibly trance? I've learned not to throw these words around in the presence of electronica fans), and tried not to make it too ridiculous. I've always liked when piano is used in trance music, and as soon as I threw that in there, it really came together.

IMPORTANT: This song is supposed to be sung by the girl (Luna!). However, my sister was not available in time, and so I recorded the vocals myself. The vocal part will be replaced for the final album version, for sure. Though I think I did a pretty darn good job.

After Noah gets on the boat and tells Luna how he feels about her, she sings this song in response...basically saying that he's a crazy freak who needs to be locked up in jail, not rewarded with her love.

I went with the obvious...the Cher/T-Pain effect on the vocals. I did it the lazy way with Antares Autotune 5, set on automatic...there's a way to program the notes in with the MIDI keyboard, and I figured it out once, but I didn't have time to re-learn it again. Other than that, this one is actually really simple, recording-wise...drums, 2 vocal tracks during the chorus, 1 synth pad, the piano, bass, and the synth solo.

Also, I've stopped trying to come up with good titles for these things, I just pick a lyric now. Seems to be working OK.

More comments! More!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favorite.

- Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Love the Cher touch - aptly described. It's a very catchy tune and you're right, your vocals are really good on this. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I'm the 1,000th visitor! Hurray!

- Anonymous

Anonymous said...

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die?
Keep on going dan, maybe I'll be able to help next week?

Anonymous said...

Dan, this one rocks. I mean, i do enjoy techno somewhat, but this revives my interest in it.

Keep truckin'

Katrice Battle said...

thats right! he is crazy.



crazy - flooding - guy

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MLcxve603-4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uZ0LL1SJ-6U

dj