Saturday, May 31, 2008

Day 18 - "Whirlpool Rag"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day18.mp3

If there was any doubt that this project would, at some point, go off the deep end, I give you today's song. I don't even know if it's good or awful...it just is what it is.

In this song, Noah and Luna are sucked into the massive whirlpool that swallowed up the tragic male plumber from the last song. What, did you think they would escape? Last time I checked, whirlpools don't work that way.

Now, for a brief history of MIDI-rag-metal, which I'm quite sure I invented: a couple of years ago, a couple of friends and I started a little event we called Record Time, where we wrote and recorded a 30-minute album in a week. Only two of us survived the first time through, including me. On that first Record Time album, I decided to fill up space by writing a couple of rags in a terrible guitar notation program, using the MIDI piano sound. I thought the MIDI piano made it sound a whole lot funnier, so I just kept it that way. Then, a year later, I put a MIDI rag in the middle of another song for the second Record Time event...and it was still hilarious. So I decided that from now on, all my speed-composition projects are going to have a MIDI rag somewhere in them.

Unfortunately, I don't have the program I used to use to make them, and this one has a less funny tone to the piano, but I think it works OK. Also, for whatever reason, Finale's 140 bpm is actually exactly halfway between 141 and 142 bpm, which Pro Tools can't really do, so the rag section doesn't start on time. I'll fix it later. End of nerd talk.

Enjoy this one, although if you enjoy it a little too much, I might get a little worried (says the guy who wrote it). Tomorrow's isn't so weird, thankfully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't get my head around this one. I'm stuck back on all the nerd talk. I miss the singing, but I trust that it will return. I also trust that nobody else on earth has mixed two genres together like this. Congratulations Dan. Breaking down musical barriers since 1987.

Dan W. said...

I'm just as lost as you are...sometimes I write a song and don't really even know what happened.

But the vocals will come back in a very big way tomorrow...don't worry.

Anonymous said...

this is huge (and f***ing frustrating) issue with finale

you might try disabling all automatic playback features before you save to a midi file

i feel your pain

but i'm happy to hear more metal
(make sure to have lots more metal!
the pinch harmonics kill me every time!)

dj