Sunday, June 1, 2008

Day 19 - "Shine (reprise)"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day19.mp3

This one is short, but nice. It started out as piano, acoustic guitar, and vocals...then I took out the piano, and it sounded nicer. Then I took out the acoustic guitar, and it sounded nicer still. So what you're left with is a little a capella tune. In this one, Noah apologizes to Luna for everything he's done, telling her that if he had known it wasn't going to work, he wouldn't have done it. He's still obviously a nutcase, but maybe he has some sort of grip on reality as well. After they get sucked into the whirlpool, they pop out in a different place, somewhere in the middle of the ocean (or what could have been something that is now underwater). So they're basically just floating in the middle of nowhere now.

I think one of the most interesting things about this whole project is with songs made this quickly, I actually still get to keep a little bit of objectivity when listening to them. I did this one in no more than 30 minutes last night, and I woke up this morning and listened to it, and it sounded completely foreign to me...I didn't remember the lyrics I wrote for it or even much of the melody (even though its a reprise). When I write music "normally", I work on songs for a couple weeks, and get to know them so well that by the end, I have absolutely no way of telling if they're any good, or what people might think of them. But with these, it's like I get to listen to them as other people listen to them.

I'm dividing the thing up into two "acts". Act I is days 1-20, and act 2 will be days 21-40. As you can tell, act 1 is winding down, and the songs have gotten shorter. I'm taking somewhat of a break by just doing real short ones to end act 1, and tomorrow's will be something a little different. But after that, I'm going back to full power and writing a whole lot more awesome songs. I'll probably even take off of work for the very last few days to finish the thing off with a bang.

So anyways, there you go, day 19. Almost halfway there! Oh, and we hit 1000 views on here a couple days ago...good work everyone. Let's try to get to 1000 comments...per day. That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the beauty of simplicity. Lovely, simply lovely. You've got some serious hooks in these tunes. I find they stick in my head at the most unlikely moments. To me, that's the sign of a good songwriter. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

nice
don't hide behind all that reverb
(you have one more step to go after removing the piano and guitar)

dj