Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 28 - "A Long and Weary Day"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day28.mp3

Another extremely special treat today! Lending his vocal talent for day 28 is Mr. Mark McLennon (that's Mr. McLennon to me). In this song, he plays the king of the fish colony, who is inviting the protagonists to come stay underwater forever, because it will be such a fun time. If you ask me, he makes a pretty convincing argument. I also really like the lyric "By the power vested in me/I now declare you'll be OK." If that's not a powerful king, I don't know what is.

I absolutely love how this one turned out. When I was recording the instruments, I just couldn't get it to sound "country" enough. I even put in a honky-tonk piano...still not enough. Then Mr. M came over and brought the whole thing together. After that, my sister and I added some background vocals and harmonies and I think that put it over the top. I also like the slide guitar quite a bit. I'd say it's in the top 3 songs of the project. It should also be noted that the "chorus" is a sort of reprise of day 14, but a little different.

Because of the success of these past few songs, I've got a lot of enthusiasm back. That, and I'm getting close to the end, and I've still got some tricks up my sleeve. That being said, I spent a LOT of time on this one, and I should be working on tomorrow's right now, and I have no clue what I'm going to do or how this thing is going to end. So tomorrow you might get a real short one...but who knows. Not me.

Again, I can't thank Mr. McLennon enough for his vocals on this one...he really made it awesome. Everyone say thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that guy! Kind of Soggy Bottom Boyish! Great song.

Dan, you are a fantastic songwriter and you and Maria do such a good job on the vocals.

Entertaining!

Katrice Battle said...

It was a great choice to have Mr. Mclennon sing it this way.

I like it.

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Mr. M.! And Dan, of course! I love this, especially the slide guitar. And the harmonies - I love me some harmonies. And, once again, you've parked your tune in my brain. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Jessie?!
No, I'm not talking about Full House here folks, I'm talking about the good Duke Cousin's Uncle. Insert General Lee jumping over ravine here===> !!!

Some finger lickin', good ol' boy kickin', super bitchin' performances.

Anonymous said...

Dan - You have mastered another unique sound in an impressive parade you have provided the world (I would get George Clooney to play the king when this comes out). I am anxious to see if our heroes stay submerged, but hope for more slide and uke either way!!! Thanks for letting me play a part in this Herculean undertaking. You have great vision, creativity and direction. M (Mr. M to you).