Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 40 - "The End/Baby Beluga"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day40.mp3

Well folks, this is it, day 40. It's ending on a good note. If you don't like this one, you're a jerk. I was going to do a long-ish "intermission" type thing with people talking at the end. Instead, I put in 2 people clapping and one person coughing, which I see as a very plausible response to my show as a whole if it was performed onstage. Then, I sing a Raffi song, and we all go home.

IMPORTANT PART: I'm going to be re-recording some vocal parts this week, and compiling everything into a file so you can put the songs on 2 CDs, if you so desire. So check back here in a little while. I'll probably spam everything with the link to the CD, so you won't have to work too hard to find it if you want it. It'll be free as a download (in a zip file.) Mr. Greg Shutters will be making me some "playbill" artwork for it, and that will be fun. So when the time comes, download it and listen to it in your car. It'll sound awesome.

So yep, I did it. Was it hard? Yeah, it was pretty hard...but not that hard. It wasn't hard writing the songs, but it was hard giving up all of my video game/internet time to work on music. I think I could have done better on various songs and whatnot, but overall, I think I did pretty close to my best, given the limitations. Would I recommend that other people try it? Absolutely. Do I want to do it again? Not really.

One of the things I can't really figure out is this: would I have done better if I had just written 40 unrelated songs, with no continuous story? On one hand, I was pretty limited lyric-wise. On the other hand, I always had something to start with each day (the next part of the story). So, who knows.

Other things I learned: don't be afraid of short songs. Don't be afraid of repeating sections. Write down melodies whenever and wherever you think of them, or you will forget them. The more vocal tracks, the better, always. The more reverb the better...usually. Don't yell a lot if you're going to have to sing a lot. Don't write anything in Db, it sucks. Fake trumpets are OK after all. Hand claps are awesome. Shakers are awesome. Sometimes people like things you hate. Metal still rules. I may never be able to break out of the prison of basic rhyme schemes. Ukulele is awesome, and I hope to purchase one soon.

Thank you to everyone who listened and commented and whatnot, it would have been a lot tougher if I felt like absolutely nobody was enjoying it. Thank you thank you thank you. I'm sure this won't be the last ridiculous project I do, so you all will be getting lots of annoying spam from me in the future.

Alrighty, time to go enjoy a composition-free rest of the day! Goodbye friends!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan,
I am still really impressed. You make me like weird music. That is good. And other things, too. I am glad that you have your internet/video games time back. But mostly the internet. So long and thanks for all the spam.
Love,
Me.

Karen said...

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!* Way to go, Dan-o! Really nicely done! Love the way it ended - very sweet.

Do another project and a blog. Why? Because I like reading your writing as much as I like listening to your music.

*This is the clapping that Dad and I did that was left on the cutting room floor.

Katrice Battle said...

I like this, it was a good way to end this whole thing. Also the entire thing was really great and successful - i think.
And now, you can work on your book!
Which everyone has been anticipating for almost years.

Anonymous said...

Dan, thanks for the 40 days of music! I enjoyed it all and loved being able to be a part of it. If only we were all as creative.