Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day 39 - "Overture"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day39.mp3

So this one is just what it sounds like...an overture. It messes up the whole order of the project, because this is going to go before the first song...obviously. I did this one very quickly, and it shows quite a bit, but it gets the job done. I introduce 4 of the main melodies of the show...pretty simple really. Plus some crowd noise so when you start listening to the CD you can get settled in without feeling like a disruption.

I also had to write this one in D-flat, because it's the only key I still had not written anything in throughout the musical. So I did it, and I gotta tell you...Db is not that fun. Not only that, I had to somehow modulate from Db to G in this song (day 1 is in G), and I didn't do it very gracefully. But probably the best part of this song is that it establishes the work as one of the first (if not the first) musical with a blastbeat.

For tomorrow, I'm going to do a little end-of-show talking bit similar to the intermission, and then I also want to record a celebratory cover song. This is another idea I stole from Jonathan Coulton, who finished his song-a-week-for-a-year project by recording his own version of "We Are the Champions" because he was so happy to be done. So I'd like to ask for suggestions of ridiculously trimphant or happy songs that I could try recording a cover of for tomorrow. I know what I'm going to do if I don't get any better suggestions, but I'm sure there's some perfect song that I can't think of. Help me!

Tomorrow will be a joyful day.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, I really like this! See, with your little intro thingys, I think I know how something will sound and then the actual music really surprises me. It reminded me what great melodies are in this show. BRAVO!!!

Well, my original idea was "The Final Countdown" but perhaps "This Is The Song That Never Ends" could do well also.

Great job Dan! This has been fun. What are we going to look forward to every day?!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say The Final Countdown as well. . . Your mom beat me to it! Good thinking, Dan's mom.

- Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Also, maybe tomorrow I should name myself for the 1 person who might not have figured it out yet (Read: the 1 person Dan hasn't told).

- Anonymous