Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 22 - "El Mar Es Un Dangerous Place"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day22.mp3

And we're back on track! I really really like this one. If you recall, Luna and Noah were floating around in the ocean at the end of act one. But help has arrived! Our two heroes are picked up by a fishing boat, run by what seem to be beginning Spanish students. At first I imagined simply a spanish-speaking crew, but then I began writing lyrics and I ran out of words I knew in Spanish that had to do with fishing and boats, so they start rattling off random, nonsensical Spanish phrases instead. And then I added a line (in spanish) about how they are in school in the winter, and on the boat in the summer, and that was that. This is a fishing boat, apparently crewed by high schoolers, coming to save our protagonists.

On top of that, a lot of the Spanish doesn't even work, even in a nonsensical way. For instance, the lyrics "Estamos nublando porque estamos muy tristes"...I wanted it to say "we are crying because we are very sad. But I didn't know how to say "to cry", so I used what I thought was "to rain" instead. Only then I looked that up on the internet, and apparently it's more accurately "to cloud." So what you get is "we are clouding because we are very sad." I also am quite happy with the title/last line of the chorus...I just had it there to fill the space in my lyrics because it sorta rhymed, then I realized it's a pretty brilliant lyric, so I kept it. Good work, me.

Here are the lyrics:

Estoy en un bota
Tu eres float-a
Nosotros estamos en mar.
Nosotros buscamos
Por los pescados, pero
Nosotros vamos ayudar.
Estamos bailando
Por que los pantalones
Estamos nublando
Porque estamos muy tristes.


La la la la la la la la
Somos el Pescadores
La la la la la la la la
El mar es un dangerous place.

En la primavera
La biblioteca
Es un luego de los ninos
En la invierna
Somos en escuela
En verano somos en la bota
Estamos bailando
Porque mis plumas y mis lechugas
Estamos nublando
Porque estamos muy felices.


La la la la la la la la
Somos el Pescadores
La la la la la la la la
El mar es un dangerous place.


---
I even changed acoustic guitar strings for you guys! Also, if all goes according to plan, tomorrow is going to be a real special treat. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Woin2TBl4Pc

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! I LOVE this one. In fact, it makes me want to ask you: Con ese nombre que tienes, porque no te has casado?

Well done...very well done!

Anonymous said...

El mar es un dangerous place are perfectly fitting lyrics, it just fits snuggly in there and relieves that Spanish-speaking tension. Word.