Monday, June 2, 2008

Day 20 - "Ghost of Love"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day20.mp3

Day 20! Halfway done! And on top of that, the musical is exactly 45 minutes long so far. Perfect!

As I said, today's is something a little different...it's a cover song. It's called "Ghost of Love", written by David Lynch for his newest movie "Inland Empire," which is one of my favorite movies ever (my friends can start groaning here). At just about a few days in, I knew I really really wanted to end the first half of the project with this song. It's really a pretty perfect theme song for anything that falls within the experimental romance genre (it's not a real genre yet, but it would be my favorite if it was). If for some reason it upsets you that I didn't write the song, tough. The rules are for me, not you, and I decide when they will be broken. And you still get more music!

The lyrics, since all the crazy vocal processing will probably get in the way:

Strange, what love does.
So strange, those ghosts of love.
Strange, what love does when you're all alone.

That's all you'll really need for lyrics. I think they fit with the story pretty well. Mine is a lot simpler in terms of structure than the original, but I really, REALLY like my version. After I finished it I listened to it about 10 times in a row without realizing it. The fade out at the end makes it good to put on repeat.

When I first heard the original, I hated it, because David Lynch is an awful singer, and his very distinctive voice distracted me. Then one day I realized how perfect the lyrics were, and I decided I had to make my own version. This won't be the final mix of this song, for sure. I didn't have time to put nearly enough ambient sound in there. It has to be full of sounds...any sounds really. Also, for whatever reason, when I listen to it through my laptop speakers, it sounds VERY left-heavy, and the vocals sound too loud, but on my good speakers, everything's just right. So some compromises might still be made.

Now that we're halfway done, I'd like to take this time to do some shameless self-promotion.

1) If you're not in the Facebook group about this project, you should join it! Just search for "INONDAZIONE".

2) If you like what I'm doing here, and want to hear what I sound like when I take my time (sorta), go to my myspace to hear some more. Add me as a friend if you like. When I'm not doing something huge like this, I usually record at least one song every week or two, and the Myspace blog gets updated with everything I release.

3) If you haven't yet, check out my two music videos, here and here. A third one is on the way, which will be (thankfully) not done by me, and with very expensive equipment!

Whew, if you read all that, congratulations, you probably have enough time on your hands to write a musical of your own...maybe we should collaborate.

Anyways, enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I request the entire first half on one track so that I can more efficiently listen to the whole thing in order. Unfortunately, I don't think you work that way, so I'll probably just have to wait another 20 days. I extra like this one. You know why.

- Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Nevermind. It has been dealt with.

Anonymous said...

OK, well, to be perfectly honest, David Lynch has got NOTHIN' on you. I mean, you did a nice job with the blues riff (and might I point out how appropriate that is since Bo Diddley just died?). But this song just doesn't compare to what you've done so far. That's just my opinion and I'm biased, but too bad. It's nice and spooky and stuff, but I like your stuff MUCH better.

Dan W. said...

Well, here's the thing. The original wasn't really cool because of the song itself (it's just a lame blues riff), it was cool because of the atmosphere and all the weird sounds in it. Like I said, I was going to put a LOT more in here, and it's going to sound better when I get to the final version. And on top of that, this one sounds absolutely awful on laptop speakers...almost all the sounds I did put in are completely gone. So try headphones on this one maybe.

Also, David Lynch is quite clearly not a songwriter, but he is a genius...if you haven't seen any of his movies, do it now!