Thursday, June 5, 2008

Day 23 - "Captain's Song/Dear Mr. Squid"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day23.mp3

Today I bring you a very special treat: the vocal stylings of Mr. Nathan Thompson. Nathan is the vocalist and pianist of Muncie-based rock band A Bad Idea, and a good friend of mine at Ball State University. Since he's in Muncie for the summer, we did a bit of remote recording; I sent him the acoustic guitar track and a version of the song with me singing it, and then he sent me back his vocal tracks. The wonders of the internet! Of course the track sounds great, and if you enjoy his singing, you should check out his band here. No recordings yet, but very soon, from what I gather.

This one starts a little subplot. Every boat has to have a captain, and every captain has to have a dark history. The captain of this boat (the one that picked up Luna and Noah) is on a mission to kill a giant squid that ate his family. This is the captain, gazing off the side of the boat, singing his murderous message to Mr. Squid himself.

This one turned out great, I think. Everyone leave comments thanking Mr. Thompson for his performance!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Nathan Thompson. You are a badass. And Dan, too.

- Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was really terrific! Great job on the vocals, Nathan. And outstanding job on the songwriting and production, Dan. I see a nice set of Inondazione action figures developing here. (Especially "Mr. Squid"!)

Bravo!

Anonymous said...

man, that Nathan Thompson guy sucks.....

oh wait, thats me....thanks for the plug for the band....its appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that I think that Nathan is AMAZING.
- Anonymous

Anonymous said...

i have an odd feeling that the amazing comment is from a guy.....and that makes me uncomfortable....

geesh, why do people post anonymous things? do you not want Dan to know you love him?

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Nathan. Not a guy. Just a fan. Oh and Dan knows I'm his biggest fan.
-Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I must say Nathan has a great voice. I like this new squid approach too. The song reminds me of something hinting towards a Porcupine Tree tune, which I really appreciate. I like the crispness of the guitar too. Sounding good. Is that an eggshell shaker I hear?!?!