Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 29 - "Hey Luna!"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day29.mp3

Today's song is definitely not for everyone. I had to do something quickly, and I tried to figure out what musical style would make for the absolute fastest composition and recording. The result: a hardcore punk song! A straightedge hardcore punk song, to be exact. As a mixing and compositional reference, I used the album "Lowest of the Low" by the band Terror, one of the most entertaining CDs in existence. What really makes the CD is during one of the live tracks at the end, the lead singer yells "I NEED MORE STAGEDIVES! SOUND GUY, CAN I GET MORE STAGEDIVES IN THE MONITORS, PLEASE?!?"

I'm not going to type out the lyrics, because they sound like they were written by a 5 year old (which is on purpose). All you need to know is that this song is Noah trying to convince Luna to stay and live with the fishes.

Obviously, since I was mimicking a Terror song, I had to do all the yelling. It isn't really as painful as it sounds to do, but I tried to get all the vocals done in about 5 minutes, which I did. The strange part isn't that it hurts your throat, it's that in a semi-small room, it's so loud that it almost hurts my ears to do it.

Then, for the chorus, I had to do the really awful half-singing. I tried to make it sound as bad as possible, for accuracy's sake. Same thing with the guitar tone. But I really think the "Oi"s and the yelling of "straight edge" brought it all together (Parents, if you don't know what straightedge harcore is all about, look it up. You'll approve.)

Not many people will like this one, but I love it. As far as sounding like a real hardcore song, I think I pretty much nailed it.

Also, we just passed 2000 hits. Sweet! Thanks!

5 comments:

Katrice Battle said...

I enjoyed this. And the Oi's - I really enjoyed the Oi's

I think I'm going to listen to it again.

Anonymous said...

Um..I didn't hear anything. Based on the description of the song, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that that isn't supposed to happen.

Karen said...

Ha ha, this is great. Since I was the only person that was there when this was recorded, I completely approve of the final recording. If you know Dan, you know that although passionate, he's very low-key. Very mellow. If you heard him recording this, it would frighten you...very much. I love the final result. Seriously. I mean I really liked it, which is sort of surprising. I even like the faux British accent, which may have been unintentional.

Anonymous said...

This song is great. Unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

Never mind, it worked the second time I listened to it.