Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day 15 - "Tubi Tango"

Link: http://djwaldkirch.iweb.bsu.edu/day15.mp3

Ooh! This one is spicy. I called it a tango...it might not technically be a tango, but it's a tango in spirit. I think it has a little bit of a Russian flair to it as well. In this song, I finally give the characters some names. The girl is named Luna and the guy is named Noah (big surprise there). I don't really plan on using their names much in the music, I'd just like to use less words to refer to them here. Noah gets on the boat, and they exchange names, and he tells her how he feels about her.

A special note on this one: it features what is without a doubt the most horrific home-made shaker in existence. The story goes like this: I couldn't find a shaker, so I decided to make one. I couldn't find any containers of appropriate size, so I decided to tape two Dixie cups together. Then I filled it with some Orzo rice-shaped pasta. At this point, the shaker had a very distinct rice-hitting-dixie cup sound quality to it, so I decided to completely cover the thing in duct tape. Then I found that it was too big, so I crushed one of the dixie cups down to about half its height. The end result somewhat resembles a coffin for a very poor mouse, and the sound it makes somewhat resembles someone marching around in rubber shoes filled with mud. Luckily it's pretty hard to hear in the mix.

Also, there's a fake trumpet solo in there. Don't hate me. If you play trumpet, come on over to my house and we'll replace it, and everything will be fine. The other thing I feel like pointing out is that in the verse I sing, the line is "I've met a lot of girls...not "I've had a lot of girls", which it sort of sounds like. Important distinction. This is a family show. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this might be my favorite one. I can actually picture it on the stage - it would look marvelous! I especially love the ending with the voices trading lines. Beautiful!

The names are great, by the way.

Anonymous said...

That was fun! Also, Micah plays trumpet, so if you're ever in Virginia, maybe she can play that for you.

- Anonymous

Anonymous said...

nice counterpoint!

-dj